Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thankful Thursdays! - Dads

Since Father's Day is Sunday, I thought it would only be appropriate to tribute this week's "Thankful Thursday" to the dads in my life! I originally thought of this idea (Thankful Thursday) around Mother's Day but because of my busy schedule, I never got around to starting it, so soon there will be a post for moms.

I have to say I'm such a lucky girl. I have three dads in my life; my dad, my step-dad and my father-in-law. I am so thankful for each of them and for all different reasons.

"The greatest gift I ever had
Came from God; I call him Dad!"
~Author Unknown

I'm very thankful for my dad! He's such a strong, sweet man.

Growing up, my favorite band was Alabama because Randy Owen was the lead singer. My favorite actor was Tom Selleck. There were never really any reason for those people to be my favorite, except to me, they reminded me of my dad. And to this day, my favorite band is still Alabama and my favorite actor is still Tom Selleck, and still whenever I see either of them, I think of my dad. I really adore my dad. I think it took a while for us to really get to know each other, but I honestly think now we have a great relationship. I love learning new things about his past and all about him. I still feel like his little girl, listening to all his great stories of growing up. He taught me so much. I remember fishing and camping with him since I was so little. He always would let me just cast and reel in, knowing I wasn't going to catch anything that way. He's so easy to be around and has accepted me throughout my life without question. I'm so very thankful for him and having him in my life always.

I'm so thankful for my step-dad. He's so funny and kind.

Dan came into my life when I was very young. It took us a long time to develop the relationship we now have and I really look up to him. I know we didn't always see eye to eye, but I think no matter what, he loved me through all my faults and mistakes. I will admit, he did have to put up with a lot with us kids growing up. And I'm thankful he did. He taught me a lot of life's lesson, though I'm sure at the time I was very not interested in learning any of them. And he taught me this love for music that I don't think will ever go away. He's hilarious and still likes to pick on me, but knows its okay because I won't take it to heart. I'm so thankful that he came into my life, under circumstances no child wishes for to begin with, but now I'm thankful it has happen after life has happened and people are happier. (Hope that made sense. haha)

I'm thankful for my wonderful father-in-law.

Eddie has always welcomed me into his family. I even remember saying he loved me before his son ever did. Haha! He also was very supportive and sweet when my family was moving to Florida, stating that I still had family there (meaning Jimmy's side of the family). And he was right. He has some of the best Vegas stories around. And he tells them better than anyone else could. He can get everyone rolling on the floor. And he's a die-hard Yankee's fan, even trying to convert Jake into one. He really is an incredible man. He helped raise Jimmy and the other kids into amazing people. He's worked hard and sacrificed a lot in life, and I really admire and respect him even more so for that. He is always there for his wife and family, and on call as a babysitter all the time, which I'm very thankful for. :) I'm very thankful he came into my life and I was accepted into his family, treated just like a daughter.

To all my dads, I love you very much. More than I can express. And I'm sure I don't say it often, but I am VERY thankful for all of you for so many more reasons than listed here and adore each of you. It is such an honor to be called your daughter. Thank you for all you have done for me and my small little family.

And a special shout out to all dads out there, thank you. "Any man can be a father, but it takes someone special to be a dad." ~Anne Geddes

Happy Father's Day!

Until next time, have a good one!

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I must admit I got a little misty eyed there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrie, this is so nice your dad really enjoyed hearing how you feel. It is so funny that you think that Tom Selleck reminds you of your dad, when he was younger a lot of people would walk up to him and say he looked like Tom Selleck or Cark Malone go figure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute sweetheart. You do have sooo many people that love you!!!

    ReplyDelete